Hiring Help vs. Moving Yourself in Boston
Should you hire professional movers or move yourself? As you prepare for an upcoming move, it’s important to ask yourself not only if, but what kind of extra help would best suit your moving needs. For example, if you’re moving a one bedroom apartment, you may not need as many helping hands compared to someone moving a three bedroom townhome.
It’s important to consider your budget, moving schedule, and personal preferences before you make a final decision. The moving process comes with a boatload of choices, and here are a few factors to help you decide whether you should hire help or move yourself.
The Deciding Factors
Deciding whether moving yourself or hiring a group of professional movers is solely based off of preference. For example, if you’re relocating to Clearway Apartments in Boston from New Hampshire, hiring professional movers may be your best bet because of time and distance. Here are some things to decide:
- What’s your moving budget?
- How far are you moving?
- How much stuff are you planning to move?
- What are you moving?
- Who is doing the packing?
One of the best parts about moving yourself is completely owning the entire process. This means that you will pack the items, load them into your car or rental truck, and then unload everything at your new Forest Properties apartment in Boston. However, moving yourself requires significant time investment.
If you’re deciding if your independence is worth saving money and climbing up a few flights of stairs, here are a few pros and cons of moving to an apartment by yourself:
The Pros of Moving Yourself
- Control throughout the entire moving process
- You’ll know exactly where all of your items are (check out our post on How to Pack a Moving Truck for inspo!)
- Moving yourself costs less than hiring professional movers
- You can pack, move, and unpack on your own time
- The ability to double check your moving checklist as many times as you’d like throughout the process
The Cons of Moving Yourself
- Requires additional organization, planning, and thought to reserve a moving truck or Gerber friends to lend a helping hand
- Moving supplies and rental truck costs
- Takes a longer amount of time
- Since you are the one moving everything, your physical condition may not be able to keep up
The Clearway Apartments in Boston
Just steps away from Boston's finest cafes, museums, and the iconic Fenway Park, The Clearway features one, two, and three bedroom apartments. Take a tour today!
Hiring Professional Movers in Boston
There are a ton of options when it comes to finding professional movers in Boston. But you want to make sure that you choose not only the fairest, but the most thoughtful and considerate group of movers. After all, they’re a big part in your moving experience to The Fenway Portfolio and are there to help make the process as smooth as possible!
Once you’ve packed up and labeled your boxes, here are a few pros and cons of hiring help to influence your decision:
The Pros of Hiring Movers
- Less physical work then moving by yourself
- Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous physical activity
- Insurance on your belongings
- Less back-and-forth from your old apartment to your new apartment at Landing 53
The Cons of Hiring Movers
- You may need a flexible schedule that complements the mover’s timelines
- Costs of actually hiring the movers
- Potential stress of not knowing exactly where certain items and boxes are being placed in moving trucks
- While it’s not a requirement, it is good practice to tip your movers, which can be seen as an additional expense throughout the moving process
Barclay on Beacon Apartments
Enjoy the Boston skyline from your private balcony! Learn more about Barclay on Becaon's one and two bedroom apartments today.
What factors helped you decide whether you tackle your move by yourself, with friends, or with an experienced group of professional movers? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook.