Restaurant of the Month: The Independent
Dining out with the family is no small feat – especially if you have a few picky eaters on your hands. While the greater Boston area has more kid-friendly restaurants than you could shake a stick at, the Forest Properties team has a local favorite that offers delectable menus for diners of every size. Talk about a win-win! Pull up your bar stools and booster seats as we bite into our Restaurant of the Month: The Independent.
Welcome to The Independent
As the weather cools down and families search for indoor dining options that go the extra mile for kids, we present to you The Independent. Located in Union Square, “The Indo” is a casual restaurant and pub that serves up American-style cuisine.
After revamping their interior back in 2017, The Independent features refinished bar tops and rich woodwork, including new wood floors, comfy furniture, and lighting fixtures. Besides boasting a spacious interior that’s comfortable for families, the restaurant is divided into two sections: a cozy candle-lit pub and a bistro-style dining room. Whichever side you decide to dine in, rest assured that the staff delivers warm, friendly service and exceptional food. Speaking of which… let’s talk about the menu!
Historic Boston Apartments at The Parkside
Enjoy studios, one, two, three or four bedroom apartments in Boston. Contact us today for a tour of The Parkside.
Bite into the Menu
Open for brunch, dinner, and late night snacks, every menu of The Indo is prepared with fresh local and seasonal ingredients. Here’s a rundown of popular menu options for every meal of the day (and any additional cravings you just need to have!).
Start the Day with Brunch
- Maple French Toast with poached apples, cinnamon, and maple whipped cream
- Corned Beef & Grits: sunny eggs, cheddar polenta, fresh herbs, and home fries
- The Breakfast Flatbread: loaded with fried eggs, crispy bacon, gruyere, and tasty garlic oil
- Wash down your feast with a signature Bloody Mary, Coffee Martini, or fresh juice
A Hearty Dinner
- Gooey Mac & Cheese dish with smoky bacon bread crumbs
- Bangers& Mash: Irish Bangers, garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli rabe, and Guinness gravy
- Veggie Burger made with sweet potato, chickpeas, arugula, and remoulade on a multigrain bun served with house cut fries or mixed greens
- Pair your meal with a signature cocktail or mocktail (try the Cucumber Cooler) or one of their 30+ beers on tap
Must-Have Late Night Snacks
- “Movie Theater Style” Popcorn with butter and sea salt)
- Braised chicken tacos
- Fried chicken wings
For the Kids
What would a kid-friendly restaurant be without an awesome kid’s menu!? The Indo serves up some all-time kid favorites, including chicken fingers with fries, crispy grilled cheese sandwiches, fish and chips, and veggie burgers. Don’t forget about fresh Chocolate Cake or Crème Brûlée for dessert before heading home to The Parkside!
When to Dine
Friday and Saturday nights really bring in the crowds, so make sure there’s space for your crew by calling ahead for a reservation.
The weekend isn’t the only time when The Independent stirs up a crowd. Every Sunday through Thursday nights from 4:30-6:30 pm, kids 12 and under eat for free with the purchase of an adult meal. That’s right – free! Bring your little ones in for a tasty meal on the house after school, soccer practice, or an afternoon out on the town before heading home to your Cloverleaf Apartment.
Barclay on Beacon Apartments
Enjoy the Boston skyline from your private balcony! Learn more about Barclay on Becaon's one and two bedroom apartments today.
The Know Before You Go
- The Independent is located at 75 Union Square in Somerville, MA, which is super easy to reach from Boston’s suburbs and nearby Forest Properties apartments.
- Hours of operation are 4pm-1am Monday-Thursday, 4pm-2am on Fridays, 11am-2am every Saturday, and 11am-1am on Sundays.
- Looking to call ahead or place a takeout order? Give them a ring at 617-440-6022.
If there’s one piece of dining advice we have to pass along… it’s to arrive with a big appetite! Share your favorite dish at The Independent with us on Facebook.